Fruit bearing is not an option. It is a requirement from GOD.
God’s vineyard is His people, v7, His Church, and He comes to us expecting to find fruit, v2,v4. He has done all that is necessary for us, through Christ, His life, His teaching, His example, His death and His resurrection, His ascension, and His present rule at the right hand of the Father, to be able to bear abundant fruit to the glory of God. In particular, v7, God is looking for the fruits of justice, fairness, honesty, integrity, faithfulness, impartiality, right judgment, and of righteousness, as in doing good to others, Is 58:6-10.
Verse 2. Every branch that does not bear fruit is taken away and burnt in the fire, v6. Those branches that bear fruit are trimmed by God so that they will be more fruitful. Reading: Mat 21:33-43. In this parable Jesus teaches on the requirement to produce fruit. The landowner is God, v33, the vineyard is Israel, v33, (of Jesus’ day), the vinedressers are the leaders of Israel, v33, the servants sent to receive the fruit are the prophets, v34-36, the Son is Jesus Himself, v37,38, the Son’s death is at Calvary’s Cross, v39, the stone that the builders rejected, that has become the Chief Cornerstone, is Christ in His death and resurrection, v42. So now, in v43, the Kingdom rule of God is taken from the leaders of the nation of Israel, and given to the holy nation of the Church of Jesus Christ, 1Pet 2:9, Mat 18:17-20, from which God expects to receive the fruit, 1Pet 2:4-10.
God looking for fruit in us, His Church?
1. In oneness, unity, mutual servanthood, Gal 5:13,14.
2. In humility and servanthood, Mat20:28, Jn 13:1-14.
3. In fulness of God’s Spirit, Eph 5:18,19.
4. In prayerfulness and intercession, Eph 6:18.
5. In openness, honesty and integrity, Eph 4:15.
6. In worship, praise and thanks, Jn 4:23, Heb 13:15.
7. In witness, Ac 1:8, Mat 10:32, Ac 22:14,15.
8. In ministry, 1Pet 4:10, gifts and anointing, 1Cor 14:1.
9. In serving the poor and needy, Mat 25:35,36.
10. In fellowship at the Lord’s Table, 1Cor 10:16, 1Cor 11:23-26.
11. In giving, tithing, offerings, Lk 16:11, Lk 6:38, Mal 3:10.
12. In going to wherever He sends us, Jer 1:7, Ac 1:8.